As part of Larkin Community Hospital’s initiative to improve quality care and ensure better patient-centered outcomes, the Center for Patient Centered Outcomes Research (C-PCOR) has been re-established under the leadership of Dr. Sirish Mulpura. Recently, the C-PCOR has submitted a Letter of Intent to the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI) PFA which seeks to aid in establishing nationwide Patient Powered Research Networks (PPRNs) as its goal to create a unified research infrastructure for patient centered studies conducted nationally. This center was previously functional as the Center for Comparative Effectiveness Research since June 2011. Larkin Community Hospital, through the C-PCOR, aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Oversee patient-centered outcomes research, to conduct effectiveness studies to increase the quality of care, decrease the rate of re-admissions and ensure medication compliance.
- The center of patient-centered outcomes research also trains physicians to capture complete clinical data at point of care, establishing a foundation for health information exchange (HIE) between the provider and patient which enables continuity of care.
- Conducts community outreach programs and collects surveys to develop procedures to provide quality outpatient services to under-served populations.
- Lead and manage quality improvement and evaluation efforts for projects undertaken by the hospital through the use of technical quality standards, and collect evidence of program effectiveness.
- Conduct quantitative research, qualitative surveys and interviews. Prepare reports as assigned for patient outcome measures
- Contribute expertise in research areas like data collection, analysis, and interpretation; and provide constructive feedback for program improvement based on outcomes.
- Coordinates with regional Practice Based Research Networks (PBRNs) and HIE portals to develop comprehensive databases and become part of a research network.
- Actively write proposals and seek grants from national health institutes for the development of a Patient-Powered Research Network (PPRN).
For more information on the Center for Patient-Centered Outcomes Research and its initiatives, please contact:Sirish Mulpura, MD, MPH.Director, Office of Clinical ResearchLarkin Community Hospitalsmulpura@larkinhospital.com