- Home »
- Treatments & Services »
- Endoscopy Services
Early Disease Detection & Treatment
at Larkin Health Systems
What is an Endoscopy?
An Endoscopy is a procedure in which an instrument called an endoscope is used to investigate or treat diseases within the body. An endoscope is a device with a long, thin, and flexible tube (with a light, camera, instrument port, and irrigation tube on the tip) and a control body which are used by the doctor to guide the endoscope throughout the body.
The endoscope can be inserted through the mouth, anus, or a small incision. It is used to diagnosis or perform minor surgeries in the joints, throat, lungs, rectum, colon, intestines, bladder, esophagus, stomach, liver, reproductive organs, and brain.
How does the doctor control the movements of an Endoscope?
The control body has two angulation knobs used for up/down and left/right movement
- The larger knob is used for up/down movement
- The smaller knob is used for right/left movement
Right and left rotation movements are obtained by either
- Rotating the wrist holding the control body
- Torquing the insertion tube
To adjust the stiffness or flexibility of the endoscope the physician twists the “boot” which is the ring located between the insertion tube and the control body
- Colonoscopy (large intestine)
- Enteroscopy (small intestine)
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Fine-Needle Aspiration (EUS-FNA)
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD)
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Stomach pain
- Digestive tract bleeding
- Polyps or growths in the colon
- Ulcers, gastritis, or difficulty swallowing
- Changes in bowel habits (chronic constipation or diarrhea)
Benefits of Endoscopy
- Investigation: search for the cause
- Confirmation of a diagnosis
Endoscopy Services | Larkin Health Please Visit or Call The Following Facilities.
Larkin Hospital South Miami
7031 SW 62nd Ave. South Miami, 33143.
Tel: (305) 284-7500 | View
Larkin Hospital Palm Springs
1475 W 49th Pl.. Hialeah, 33012.
Tel: 305-558-2500 | View
Physicians Treating Endoscopy Services | Larkin Health.